Thursday, October 9, 2008

Painting Chinatown Red

If there is one absolute thing that I cannot be deprived of, it would be sleep. Anyone who knows me well enough understands and accepts the fact that if I get less than 8 hours of sleep, it’d be as if all hell has broken loose. But if one major factor existed that could get me to stir from my quota of forty winks, that would be food.

Last Saturday, I went against my body clock even though it was pleading for more hours of quality time underneath my fluffy blanket. I finally had the opportunity to experience the Big Binondo Food Wok and as the tourist guides so aptly put it, nibble my way through Manila’s Chinatown.

Now those who love authentic Chinese cuisine should never ignore this enlightening and incredibly filling occasion to traverse through the town that knows how to tickle the seasoned palate. Never mind the horses’ piss on the street or the vehicles that can suddenly ram into you and render your limbs useless – your mind, and most importantly your stomach, will be duly satisfied.

Mr. Ivan Man Dy, the man about Chinatown, feeding our minds and our stomachs.


The first meal of the day and it didn't disappoint.

The best siopao my taste buds has ever encountered.

The best people to go on a feeding/cultural frenzy with.

If you've got the free time to do so, I strongly urge you to experience this one-of-a-kind walking tour. Not only will it leave your belly very happy but you'll surely appreciate the diversity that this wonderful, albeit crazy, country possesses.

No comments: