Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Magnificent Anderson

It was back in 2004 when my then boyfriend introduced me to this gangly young man who had a curious proclivity for wearing spiffy suits. He wasn’t exactly what anyone could call dapper nor dashing but nonetheless, I was enamored. He had a geekiness about him that you could smell a mile away. And naturally, I sniffed his nerdy scent to track down his whereabouts. This man’s name was Wes Anderson.

The first Anderson film I unknowingly watched was The Royal Tenenbaums. In the middle of my daily exercise routine that consisted of Channel Surfing and Couch Yoga, my eye caught these two little dudes wearing red Adidas tracksuits. I tuned in and was pleasantly surprised by what was unraveling before me. That night, I talked to ex-boyfriendo and described to him this cinematic gem I had channel surfed upon. He shed light upon my poor ignorant soul and the rest, as they say, is history.

This November, the very esteemed Criterion Collection will be coming out with Bottle Rocket, Anderson’s initial foray into the path of Great Auteurship or Supreme Auteurity or becoming The Auteurialist (Ok, I’ll stop now). And I say, it’s about time!


Now isn’t that awesome? Lovely artwork was done by Ian Dingman. Work out that finger of yours and click on the link to see more of his work.

Criterion also has 3 more of Anderson’s films in their spectacular vault of exquisite titles:




If I'm not mistaken, I believe the DVD artworks were done by Anderson's brother, Eric Anderson. Wow, this family sure didn’t waste anytime on their asses when God was handing out talent to the mortals.

Now imagine having all four of these DVDs lounging around with you in your room. That’s some pretty damn good company you’ll be in, I must say.

No comments: