Sunday, September 6, 2009

For you who has taken flight

I remember the very first time I had an actual conversation with Alexis. It was at an Italian fast food joint across UA&P and I couldn’t believe it was happening.

It was the summer of 2006. I had recently graduated from university and had no idea what to do next. My life was at a standstill but I didn’t care. All I cared about was the fact that I was having lunch with a person who, prior to that meeting, I had only greatly admired from a distance.

I remember being quite taken with him. He was charming, witty, passionate, and immensely intelligent. But what stood out the most was his ability to make me feel at ease, joking around as if we had been lifelong friends when in fact we had only met a mere five minutes ago.

Alexis was the kind of person who was unhesitant to extend himself and sincerely connect with strangers. Those who had the pleasure of knowing him all recognize how welcoming he was. He had a refreshing quality of being genuinely interested in the opinions of others, no matter if the opinion had more “umms” and “uhhhs” than real insight.

That was how we met. And I’m incredibly glad that he listened beyond those ridiculous amounts of “umms” and “uhhs” and gave me the very exquisite pleasure of calling me his friend.

The very recent tragedy that had taken you and Nika away has a lot of us wounded and almost too tired to begin again. We may never be rid of the grief but trust that someday we will be dreaming outrageously again - just like you did, just like both of you did.

Thank you, Alexis and Nika.

Photo by Chris Yambing

No comments: